Sunday, January 23, 2011

And We're Off!

I must confess I feel more than a little silly and perhaps just the slightest bit egotistical writing a blog.  I mean, who will read it?  Maybe no one.  Who do I think I am that I would have something to say that others would want to read?

First, I have to say that I truly enjoy writing.  I have been toying with the idea of a blog for a while, and I made my final decision to start one last week when I was at a business gathering with my husband.  You see, I've lost around 115 pounds in the last year.  (I say "about" only because it fluctuates, depending on a lot of factors...  115 is an average.)  To me, this is an achievement of which I'm very proud, but it hasn't really struck me until recently that other people (outside of my family) want to hear what I have to say.

People frequently ask me how I lost the weight, which is exactly what happened at the aforementioned business gathering.  When I approached some of my husband's associates, they immediately began a conversation with me about my weight loss.  As I was excusing myself, one of them said, "When I saw you, I was hoping that you would come over.  I had so many questions to ask you!"  I was so flattered!  However, I insist on pointing out that I am in no way an expert in the field of weight loss.  You most likely will not hear me quoting research articles, and I certainly have no formal training in the field.  The things I say are simply my opinion or my experience.  I do not pretend to be someone I'm not.

My second motivation for the blog is actually very selfish.  I find it a means of accountability, which I desperately need!  I have a confession to make:  Keeping the weight off is proving much more challenging than losing it.  Anyone that has lost weight will likely echo this sentiment.  I'm not sure, but maybe reaching my arbitrary goal weight has led me to feel entitled to splurge more often.  Maybe that isn't a bad thing.  I am seeking a way to stay accountable and healthy and yet lose some of the obsession I seem to have regarding my weight.  I can see where one might make the argument that talking about it all of the time may only worsen my obsession, but I truly think this will be a cathartic experience.  Maybe I'll help some people along the way... and help myself while I'm at it.

Gotta run for now, but in my next post, I will answer the question everyone seems to want to know...  How did I lose the weight??!!

I'll leave you with a before and after photo.  The first is December 2009.  (Note the truffles!!)  The second is December 2010.  Both took place at my annual work Christmas party.



Until next time,
Jenifer

No comments:

Post a Comment